Reverend Jenny's Lists of 10
After reading ‘Ten’ by John Pritchard
Rev. Jenny was prompted me to make her own lists of ‘Ten’.
What would be on your list?....
Rev'd Jen's top 10 Christmas Bible verses
Christmas carol services have 9 lessons (short bible readings between carols), including verses from the Old Testament
prophet Isaiah. Isaiah foretells the coming of Jesus and new life with God. My top ten includes some made famous in 'Handel's Messiah'. I wonder how many you know ...........
1.The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness – upon them light has shined... Isaiah 9:2
2. For a child has been born for us...he is named Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace...Isaiah 9:6
3. The wolf shall live with the lamb...a little child shall lead them...they will not hurt or destroy...for the earth will be full of the knowledge of God as the waters cover the sea... Isaiah 11: 6 and 9
4. He will feed his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms...and gently lead the mother sheep.
5. Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine...I will be with you...you are precious in my sight and honoured and I love you... Isaiah 43:1-5
6. I will give you the treasures of darkness and riches hidden in secret places...Isaiah 45:3
7. Even when you turn grey I will carry you. I have made and I will bear (you)...
I will carry and will save (you).......Isaiah 46:4
8. I will not forget you. See I have inscribed (tattooed!) your name on the palms of my hands... Isaiah 49:16
9. Return... to our God, for he will abundantly pardon...For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are my ways your ways my ways, says the Lord.’ Isaiah 55:7-8
10. As a mother comforts her child so I will comfort you...You shall see and your heart shall rejoice. Isaiah 66:13
Share the hope and joy of Christmas in our village carol services listed in the Parish News.
10 Cliches to Avoid. What would be on your list of trite sayings to avoid?
1.‘The Bible clearly states…’ No! the 66 books of the Bible need interpretation ...when were they written? who by? who for? how do they fit with the whole Bible?
2. ‘There but for the grace of God go I’ ... God doesn’t pick on you and protect me!
3. ‘We have God on our side’... God’s not tribal! God sides with the poor, with peace and justice.
4. ‘God didn’t listen to my/our prayers’... God always listens and already knows our thoughts and needs... but do we always listen to God?
5. ‘If only we had enough faith’... No! Faith doesn’t force God to act. God’s always on our side.
6. ‘If only we were like the Early Church’ ... St Paul’s letters show they had flaws and problems too!
7. ‘Everything’s part of God’s plan’ ... No! Suffering comes from selfish choices or how the world/we are made. God doesn’t send pain or tragedy.
8. ‘God’s in control’...God’s not a puppeteer pulling our strings. God chooses to give us free choice.
9. ‘God’s got his eye on you’… sounds like a policeman waiting to catch us out, not a loving parent!
1 0. We’ve always done it this way’...God continually creates and renews - we should too.
What would your 10 New Testament bible verses be?
1. ‘God is LOVE. Those who live in love live in God and God lives in them.’ 1 John 3:16
2. Jesus said: ‘I came that they may have LIFE, and have it to the full.’ John 10:10
3. Jesus said: ‘Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you REST. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle of heart and you will find rest for your soul’. Matthew 11:28
4. Jesus said: ‘In this world you will have trouble. But take courage: I have conquered the world.’ John 16:33
5. Jesus said: ‘My PEACE I give to you, my peace I leave with you… do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.’ John 14:27
6. Jesus said: ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the LIGHT of life.’ John 8:12
7. ‘Jesus said: ‘If I go and prepare a place for you I will come again and will take to myself so that where I am there you will be also’.
8. Jesus said: ‘Remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age’ Matthew 28:20
9. Jesus told them: ‘Just as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters you did it to me.’ Matthew 25:40
10. ‘God so loved the world that he gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.’
10 STORIES that tell the big Bible Story… friendship is the key…
1. MAKING friends: God creates the world and humankind to live in friendship with Him (Genesis 1 and 2).
2. Friends FALL OUT: Adam and Eve go their own way but God doesn’t give up (Genesis 3). The bible tells of God’s ‘search and rescue mission’ to bring us home.
3. Friends LIVE together: God give Moses 10 Commandments - ground rules to live by (Exodus 20).
4. Friends look to the FUTURE: people ignore God’s ways but God sends prophets, then promises His Son, Jesus to help us get back on track (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Amos, Micah etc).
5. Friends get a NEW START: God comes in Jesus (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John’s gospels).
6. Friends LEARN together: Jesus teaches by stories and example – we’re still learning what it means to follow him (eg Sermon on the Mt Matthew 5-6).
7. Our Best Friend DIES: In Jesus God offers himself and all he stands for; the world crucifies Him.
8. LOVE doesn’t die: Jesus is raised from the dead and meets his friends at the tomb, on the Road to Emmaus, in the Upper Room, by the Sea of Galilee… (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John’s gospels).
9. Friends made NEW: the Holy Spirit comes at Pentecost to give us power/energy to be like Jesus (Acts of the Apostles, St Paul’s Letters).
10. Friends FOR EVER: God promises to make all things new –we will be gathered up with Him for ever (Book of Revelation).
10 Reasons Why Christianity Has Lasted So Long (And continues to grow worldwide today…)
What do you make of this list?
Note: Christians/the Church often fail to live out this Christian faith BUT these reasons still hold true…
1. Christianity is about LOVE - accepting God’s love for us, loving God and our neighbour.
2. Christianity is about JESUS. His teaching and example inspires people of all faiths and none (Ghandi read the Sermon on the Mount every day!)
3. Christianity recognises we all carry burdens – it’s our privilege to HELP each other along the road.
4. Christianity CHANGES ideas of life and death, power and weakness, success and failure. The greatest serve, givers receive, Jesus’ death on the cross is the way to life in God’s kingdom.
5. Christianity is real about EVIL (SIN), the flaws in us and the world, and helps us deal with both. God doesn’t expect us to be perfect – he invites us to travel in the right direction.
6. Christianity values EVERYONE equally as made in the image of God, unique and precious. We all matter to God.
7. Christianity encourages us to enjoy and care for our WORLD. God is interested in every part of life not just the churchy/religious/moral bit.
8. Christianity works for JUSTICE, the well-being of our planet and everyone on it.
9. Christianity believes in God beyond us (Father), God with us in history (Son), God in us (Holy Spirit) - one God revealed in three ways (Holy Trinity) to sustain, befriend and inspire us.
10. We can’t prove Christianity is true but it changes lives - millions of Christians find new hope and purpose in suffering and in joy – we each have to try it and see for ourselves.
10 things I don't believe about God
1. I don’t believe in an ‘Old Man in the Sky’ God, interfering randomly in the world. I see God as always with us, even when we’re not aware of Him through busyness, indifference, ignorance etc.
2. I don’t believe God is dead, killed by scientific thinking. Science and religion are not natural enemies, they just ask different questions and contribute to each other.
3. I don’t believe God is waiting to catch us out, like a divine traffic warden. I see God as a loving parent, encouraging us to do our best, hurting when we hurt, guiding us to do good.
4. I don’t believe God condemns people to Hellfire for eternity. I think Hell is the absence of love. People make life Hell for themselves and others but God never stops searching for the lost.
5. I don’t believe God sends suffering to test us/punish us/make us better human beings. Bad stuff happens through selfish choices or because that’s just how the world/our bodies are.
6. I don’t believe God has favourites. I believe God loves everyone (not just Christians!) and wants everyone to flourish, whatever we believe or don’t believe
7. I don’t believe God means us to read the bible literally. We read the bible as the ‘truth’ story of God’s love and purpose, with respect, an open mind and awareness of when/why it was written.
8. I don’t believe an angry God kills off his innocent Son to appease his sense of justice. I believe the cross and Easter are about God facing and defeating evil through love.
9. I don’t believe God worries about Church statistics. God’s concern is for human flourishing in a just and joyful world. God loves the world and encourages us to do the same.
10. I don’t believe anyone on earth knows everything about God. Sometimes the Church gets God wrong eg over slavery, women, intolerance etc. We grow when we listen to and learn from others.
1. Take care what you worship (put first). Will work, ambition, image, possessions etc. really matter when the going gets tough, when bad stuff happens?... will it take the strain?
2. Don’t let technology, celebrity, looks, houses, cars, holidays become idols … life’s greatest gifts are life itself, strong relationships and purpose.
3. Don’t expect God to back up your thinking. God is for peace and justice. God wants everyone and everything to flourish, God has no favourites
4. Find balance in life – take time to be refreshed (Sabbath rest). Be kind to yourself and live mindfully.
5. Look after your parents and family – we’ll all be old one day!
6. Don’t hurt others by word or action – treat others as you would like to be treated - take Climate Change, world poverty, Fair Trade seriously.
7. Be loyal to your partner – selfish choices hurt everyone.
8. Don’t take what isn’t yours, give what you can to people in need.
9. Don’t lie to get out of trouble or get someone else into trouble.
10. Don’t envy what friends, neighbours, celebrities have – value and enjoy your life – it’s the golden key to contentment and inner freedom!
* You can check God’s list in the bible in Exodus 20 verses 1-17 and Deuteronomy 5 verses 4-21